Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: 418B value

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member
    418B value


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    418B value

    I've got a pair of 418Bs that I've had on Ebay for a week without a single bid. What are these things worth? They work fine and are in very good condition except that one of the metal dust covers is dented, close serial numbers - 8(3?)91950 or so, white frames. Is Ebay the best venue to try and sell these?

    Thanks,

    Ed

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    418B value


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    They are musical instrument speakers is why? Not that they are bad but not really meant for Hi-Fi like a 416-8B or a 515. What is your starting bid price ?

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member
    418B value


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    $150 and a "buy it now" price of 275 for the pair based on a guess and the price of the GPA 515s I just bought.

    Ed

  4. #4
    Inactive Member airboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    The $150 is fair but most guitarists use D-E or K 130s from JBL. It's just a better sound, in spite of the fact that the 4" voice coils are fragile as heck. The D-130 is really a 25 watt speaker.

    Second point, they don't even really sound that good on bass the way folks play now. Everybody has gone to multiple arrays of 10" bass speakers.

    Finally, split them up. Nobody wants the dented dust cover, and if a guy is going to run a 15" like in a Vibrolux he only wants one.

    Those are the same baskets as the 416 and sorta early too. No LTV. Nice speakers. If you pull the bell cover off them do they say 422Z on the magnet structure?
    Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    I had a pair of 418's reconed to make them 416's. They sound great in my A7's.
    Just a thought...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    418B value


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    Quote Originally Posted by airboss View Post
    The $150 is fair but most guitarists use D-E or K 130s from JBL. It's just a better sound, in spite of the fact that the 4" voice coils are fragile as heck. The D-130 is really a 25 watt speaker.

    Second point, they don't even really sound that good on bass the way folks play now. Everybody has gone to multiple arrays of 10" bass speakers.

    Finally, split them up. Nobody wants the dented dust cover, and if a guy is going to run a 15" like in a Vibrolux he only wants one.

    Those are the same baskets as the 416 and sorta early too. No LTV. Nice speakers. If you pull the bell cover off them do they say 422Z on the magnet structure?
    A number of minor errors...

    The 418 isn't a bass guitar speaker, more of a lead speaker. Selling them for bass will mean a blown speaker and unhappy buyer...

    They are NOT WOOFERS either. And not Hi-Fi.

    No, most guitarists don't use the JBL 15, most guitarists use 12's. Or 10's. The 130 isn't especially popular for guitar either. The 130 does see limited guitar use. Very limited. Mostly Jazz or country.

    The 418 is great for pedal steel BTW.

    The frames would be later than LTV. The 418 can have either old or newer 16" frame.

    EDIT: The date code is 1969, very definitely during LTV, correcting my error. Not especially early frames still, though. Actually toward the end of the old frame.

    To the OP..That BIN is WAY high. A perfect pair probably wouldn't bring that.

    Top dollar? Probably 125 on the good one, 90 or so on the other. And top dollar is hard to get right now.

    As frames for reconing I wouldn't expect to get more than 150 for the pair. Probably better, as posted, to split them up.

    Very few guitarists would want both.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    HB Super Moderator
    418B value


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    Quote Originally Posted by edharbur View Post
    $150 and a "buy it now" price of 275 for the pair based on a guess and the price of the GPA 515s I just bought.

    Ed
    You'll get yourself disappointed comparing a 515 to a 418 money wise it's like apples and oranges two totally different speakers.Also try lowering your starting bid.eBay is strange sometimes you could list a pair of speakers with a "Buy it Now" of $500 nobody buys them,you relist them at $.99 starting bid and get a bunch of bidders and they sell for $750 I've seen that happen more times than you can count you just never know it is always best to start the bids low to get the action started so to speak. Good Luck with your auction.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    418B value


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    Quote Originally Posted by edharbur View Post
    I've got a pair of 418Bs that I've had on Ebay for a week without a single bid. What are these things worth? They work fine and are in very good condition except that one of the metal dust covers is dented, close serial numbers - 8(3?)91950 or so, white frames. Is Ebay the best venue to try and sell these?

    Thanks,

    Ed
    Those aren't serial numbers.

    391 is Altec, the rest is date code...Google EIA speaker codes...so they have close date codes, not necessarily serial numbers.

    A novice would think 391412 and 391537 to be close, in reality more than a year and a half.

    You just got to face, they aren't the most desirable, and are not gonna bring a lot of money
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member
    418B value


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    Thanks for the insights and advice.

    Lets see - they are at work and I'm at home, so I can't pull the cover and look for the 422Z today.

    Someone on this board had suggested to me that I have them re-coned as 416's a month or so ago. Great advice, but when you consider the cost of the re-cone, shipping 2 ways, and what I guessed that I could get from the 418s, the 515s were a pretty small upgrade. The GPA stuff seems to be getting great reviews here, and it just seemed better to start fresh.

    "125 on the good one, 90 or so on the other..." That's 215 minus say 25% for a weak market; 150 or so... suits me. Just trying to get fair money, not top dollar. I understood when I bought the speakers (A7s) that they weren't correct or all that desirable; the seller was totally up front.

    Thanks for the Ebay advice. I'm a total novice at both Ebay and Altec date codes. Can't learn unless you play.

    Ed

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    418B value


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 418B value

    Quote Originally Posted by edharbur View Post
    Thanks for the insights and advice.



    "125 on the good one, 90 or so on the other..." That's 215 minus say 25% for a weak market; 150 or so... suits me. Just trying to get fair money, not top dollar. I understood when I bought the speakers (A7s) that they weren't correct or all that desirable; the seller was totally up front.

    Thanks for the Ebay advice. I'm a total novice at both Ebay and Altec date codes. Can't learn unless you play.

    Ed
    I know some pedal steel players who like those

    Will put out feelers. I don't get around much, but have lightning fast internet.

    I agree, if you get 150 as is vs investing 200+ for a recone, selling as is makes a lot of sense. Your break even is gonna be close to 400...

    I hope I am not offensive, I just try to be really strict about accuracy...:coffeedrinker:

    Look at the bright side, as much as I screw up after close to 50 years in pro audio, novices got nuttin' to be ashamed about.:lol:
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28261621 times.